Phillip W. McCallum, Of Counsel
As an “of counsel” attorney with McCallum, Hoaglund & McCallum, Phillip’s goal is to
lend his leadership and experience to skillfully represent individuals and businesses
involved in civil litigation, personal injury and business litigation matters.
A Servant Leader With a Diverse Background
Since entering the practice of law in 1988, Phillip McCallum’s career has covered
variety of practice areas. He’s also been on both sides of the courtroom, working as
prosecutor as well as a litigator for plaintiffs and defendants. He’s also worked to
support lawyers and further the legal profession through public service roles with
organizations such as the Alabama State Bar.
Phillip’s broad background provides him with a unique perspective in analyzing and
understanding the predicament that people find themselves in. This ensures he’s able to craft effective solutions to achieve his clients’ goals.
At the heart of everything Phillip does is his ingrained desire to serve others. It’s a
calling that drives him to help his clients correct wrongs. And it’s that calling that
continuously leads him to seek out and obtain leadership roles with professional and community organizations where he felt he could help make a difference.
Some of Phillip’s more notable roles include Founding Partner of a successful
nationwide law firm, McCallum, Methvin & Terrell, President of the Alabama State Bar and Executive Director of the Alabama State Bar.
In stepping into each of these roles, Phillip focused on ensuring his motivations to lead were pure and grounded in his desire to help others. This focus remains at the forefront of every client he interacts with and every case he handles.
Mediation Services Also Available
In addition to his current role with McCallum, Hoaglund & McCallum, Phillip has
established McCallum Mediation, LLC, an arbitration and mediation practice, to help
lawyers resolve their clients’ cases.
Outside of practicing law and managing his mediation practice, you’ll find Phillip
spending quality time with his wife and children, who are at the center of his universe. You may also find him in a boat every once in a while, as he loves fishing-especially deep sea fishing.
- Alabama, 1988
- Oklahoma, 2003
- Texas, 2002
- West Virginia, 2004
- Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, 1987, J.D.
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1984, B.S.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Birmingham Bar Association Member, 1988-Present
- Alabama Bar Association Member, 1988-Present
- American Bar Association Member, 1988-Present
- Alabama Trial Lawyers Association / AAJ Member, 1998-2010
- Lawyers Helping Lawyers 501(c) Incorporator and Secretary, 2020
- National Conference of Bar Executives, 2017-2020
- National Conference of Bar Presidents, 2012-Present
- Southern Conference of Bar Presidents, 2012-2020
- Executive Board of the Alabama Law Foundation, 2012-2016
- President of the Alabama State Bar, 2012-2013
- President-Elect of the Alabama State Bar, 2011-2012
- Board of Directors for Triumph Services, 2010-2012
- Assistant Coach for the Vestavia Hills Wrestling Club, 2008-2012
- Alabama State Bar Disciplinary Board, 2002-2011
- Fellow of the Alabama Law Foundation, 2002-2011
- Fellow of the Birmingham Bar Foundation, 2002-2011
- Fellow of the American Bar Association, 2002-2011
- Fellow of the National Conference of Bar Presidents, 2012-Present
- Vice President of the Alabama State Bar, 2009-2010
- Board of Directors for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2008-2010
- Chairman Member of the Chief Justice Commission on Professionalism, 2008-2009
- Member of Executive Board of the Birmingham Bar Association, 2009
- Bar Commissioner for the State of Alabama, 2002 (Elected to three, three-year terms, 2002, 2005, and 2008)
- Member of the Grievance Committee of the Birmingham Bar Association, 2002 (Served two, three-year terms, 1995-1998 and 2002-2005)
- Chairman of Vestavia Hills Substance Abuse Task Force, 2000-2002
- Executive Board, Small Firm/Solo Practitioners 1999-2001
- Member of Independent Presbyterian Church, 1990-Present
- Special District Criminal Court Judge for O.L. “Pete” Johnson (Jefferson
- Deacon Board of Independent Presbyterian Church, 1995-1998
Member of the Executive Board of Family Child & Services (Junior Board),
- President of the Young Lawyers Section of the Birmingham Bar Association,
- Member of the Executive Board of the Birmingham Bar, 1996
- Alabama Leadership Initiative, 1996
- Shepherd Board of Independent Presbyterian Church, 1992-1995